Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, April 3, 2008

The first few firsts of many firsts...

Today is our first day without daddy. Ben went back to work today, and I've never seen him drag his feet more. Thankfully tomorrow is Saturday and we get him back for a full two days. Yay! Here are a few more firsts for you...

I guess if you can call a good wiping down with a wet washcloth a bath, then Joshua had his first bath at home yesterday. :) He wasn't too keen on the idea at first, but after daddy held his hand, made the magic "shhh, shhh, shhh" noise, and said "It's ok, buddy. Daddy's here", Joshua settled into it and seemed to enjoy the rest of the bath.

He also had his first trip to Ben's workplace and his first experience with people trying to wake him when he was sleeping. Normally, people try to keep a sleeping baby sleeping. But Ben works with some pretty boisterous guys who talk loudly and joke and laugh and wanted to see him awake. Joshua didn't mind it one bit and even obliged and opened one eye to look at them.

The last first I'll share is his first experience in his new Moby Wrap. I wanted to be able to 'wear' him for many reasons. It helps with the bonding, it makes the baby feel secure, no one can touch him unless I allow them to, and my hands are free to do whatever else I want or need to do. The Moby Wrap is this giant (18 ft long!) piece of thick jersey material that you wrap around you and then tuck the baby in it. We wrapped me up like a mummy and then settled Joshua into it. He LOVED it and so did I.

This morning, during his 3am feeding, I had a first too. It was the first time I realized that no amount of exhaustion could dampen the thrill of that first really big smile. Joshua smiled this morning! It wasn't really the first, as he's been doing it since day one (I just thought it was gas originally!), but this smile was different. It was a full out, eyes crinkled around the edges, gum showing smile. You know, the kind of smile that stops your heart it's so cute. It was such a big smile that I realized that he has a dimple in his right cheek. I was so upset that I didn't have my phone or a camera or something to document it! He did it two or three times and then fell asleep. Maybe it was a good thing that I didn't have a camera to take a picture of it. Now, that first beautiful smile is all mine to keep in my heart. Don't worry...I'm sure you'll get plenty in years to come. :)

I just heard my son fill his diaper so I'll end for now and leave you with your daily Joshua cuteness fix:

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's beautiful, as you know! :-) And it looks like you've mastered the moby wrap, not an easy thing from what I've been told. I'm sure Ben can't wait to get back home -It's probably the longest day ever!
Yay to Joshua for being such a relaxed little man, and such a good sleeper already. :-) Mommy and Daddy need all the sleep they can get, but isn't it amazing how your body adjusts and finds the energy after only a few hours of sleep? The little ones are exhausting, but they're also the greatest source of energy!!! :-)
What a great time! I can't wait to do the newborn times again.

Jodi said...

The moby wrap looks great on you! Joshua looks soooo cozy. :-)

Anonymous said...

Nana thinks Joshua is soooo cute. It was so hard to leave. Keep the pictures coming so I can watch him grow every day. Do you wrap yourself with the moby wrap, Jamie? Or, does Ben wrap you up before he leaves for work? :o)

Anonymous said...

I'm counting the days until we come back up to visit. Tio Jay is very excited to get his hands on Bean again. He is the sweetest thing we've ever seen:) Keep up the good work with the blog so all of us who don't get to see him everyday can watch him grow and change.

Anonymous said...

Nothing is as great as a picture of a daddy and his boy...

Anonymous said...

Mammaw sure thinks he's cute! Give him a big kiss, Timothy will be glad to share, he hates Mammaw's kisses! :o)

Brian & Carly said...

I know my last post said that I thought Joshua was looking more like Ben, but boy does he look like Jamie in the picture where he's yawning! Keep the pictures coming! Love the puppy outfit ;)

Anonymous said...

Gramma would like a picture of Ben and the baby Bean. I just love that picture.

Anonymous said...

I'm definatly addicted... I can't stop looking at the pictures:)