Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Updates, Updates, And More Updates!

Oh my it's been a long time since I've updated. So sorry! We had been traveling for Wegmans, then Joshua was sick, then I was sick, then Joshua was sick, then I was sick...do you see a pattern forming here? :) So here's a very brief update on what's been going on with Josh.

The last time I updated, we were just about to travel down to Virginia. That trip went well (except for Joshua not sleeping at. all. each. night.) and it was wonderful to see our friends. While Ben spent his days on the job site, Joshua and I spent the time with Kristen, Savannah, Niki, Tristan & Ethan. I was enjoying the time we had together too much to actually take pictures though!

The week after we came back from VA, we were off to PA for another site visit. This time we stayed a little longer and got to see more of our friends. We got to catch up with the Nadelhoffers, and Matthewand Nataliewere a source of nonstop entertainment for Joshua (who was a little cranky since he was not sleeping at. all. each. night) and there were even some kisses thrown in toward the end. We also got to spend some time with my friend, Erin, and her new baby, Evan. I moved to PA with Erin after college, so I guess in a way, it's because of her that I have my husband and my beautiful little boy! Yay for Erin! :) Evan slept the whole time we were there with Erin, but we got to hold him most of the time and it was so hard to let him go! Holding Evan brought back so many memories of when Joshua was that little (and light!) and both Ben and I left the house thinking that maybe another baby in the near future wouldn't be that bad. Then we slapped ourselves and got back to reality. :) Joshua had a great time with Erin. He was held and loved on and he even got to inspect Erin's ring. He decided that everything was in order and we headed off to our next visit. :) We spent Friday night with our friends, Tori and Jay, and their son, Max. Max is a ham. The hammiest ham there ever was. He is a complete riot. Ben, Joshua and I met Tori and Max at Valley Forge Park for a quick walk before dinner. It was a beautiful day and perfect for walking with the kids. Saturday morning we were up early (because Joshua hadn't slept at. all. all. night.) and headed for home. It was wonderful seeing our friends, but it was wonderful to get home and relax as well. Joshua drove for a little while on the way home because daddy and mommy were sooo tired (because Joshua did. not. sleep.). Just kidding...we were in a rest stop. But I love that picture!

On March 12, we had an appointment with the developmental pediatrician again. They formally diagnosed Joshua with spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy. This is a good thing. We knew it was coming, we knew that it would happen. Having a formal diagnosis for him gives us the opportunity to get whatever services we need because of that diagnosis. I was surprised that I didn't feel sad or depressed because of the diagnosis. I realized it was because they are just words. Words do not change how I view my son. Spastic quad CP does not change who Joshua is or what he can do. It just gives us more opportunity to get him help and help him function at the highest capacity he can.
While we're on the topic of diagnoses, I wanted to update you on what is going on with my brother-in-law, Jay. Jodi and Jay saw a specialist at UNC on Monday. The specialist feels that Jay does have multiple sclerosis and they are now beginning treatment for MS. As shocking as it is to get this diagnosis, both Jodi and Jay are holding up quite well. They have decided to reinlist in the Army, and Jay's unit is making accomodations for him so that he can stay with them. What this means for their future is anyone's guess, but I know that they'll handle it together and roll with the punches. So just continue to pray for them. But just like Joshua, the diagnosis is just words. It doesn't change who Jay is or what he can do.

Ok...can I be honest for a minute? As I've said multiple times on this blog, we don't know why God allows the things he allows. We don't know the reason behind so many things, but when we can look back at the event that have shaped our lives, we see the reason. When I moved to PA with Erin in 2001, I was in a pretty miserable place in my life. I loved living with Erin, but I was lonely and searching for something. I thought about moving back home, but it never worked out. Then I met Ben. And I saw why I was in PA. So back to the part about me being honest...I believe that God will use Jay's MS to help Joshua. Or maybe God is going to use Joshua's CP to help Jay. I believe that Joshua and his Tio Jay are going to have a very special bond. Oh, they'll love each other because they are related and all that...but they are going to understand each other like no one else will understand them. They will understand how frustrating it can be when your body just won't do what you want it to do. And honestly, I'm glad Joshua will have someone to understand. And I'm glad that Joshua will have someone to look up to and know that if Tio can do it, so can he. That nothing is impossible once you put your mind to it. And I'm glad that Jay will have that in Joshua as well.

3 comments:

Nadelhoffer said...

That's precious. I really appreciate your honest thoughts (sniffle) on the relationship of (sniffle) Joshua and Tio Jay and how you (sniffle) believe God has a plan for that (sniffle) special bond. Nice pictures, too. Hope you're feeling better.

Anonymous said...

I am speechless! Amazingly and perfectly put. Tissues please!

Sam and Erin said...

Yes, yay for me, I take all the credit for your family, haha :o) Seriously though, it was so great to see you guys and to meet Joshua!!!

Love,
Erin