Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

So Big!

"So Big!" refers to Joshua as well as the size of this post. Lots have been happening so there's lots to update you with. Hold onto your hats...here we go! New York seems to agree with Josh...he loves being able to be outside all the time. The nights are nice and cool and we can take walks and the days haven't been too hot. It's quite different than Virginia. When he's crying or upset, we can walk out on the deck and he quiets right down.

Joshua has had lots of 'big boy' moments and lots more firsts since we've been in NY. Fourth of July weekend meant first picnics and family gatherings. On the 4th, we had a picnic at mom's house and my cousin, Kevin, brought over his new fancy schmancy camera. Ohhhh, how I love fancy schmancy cameras. Someday, I'll have one too. :) So Kev took lots of pictures of Joshua, here are some of my favorites -
(This is Joshua's angry face. It's hard not to laugh when he gives you that one!)
On the 6th, for the first time since Joshua was born, we got together with Ben's family for a picnic. We've gotten together with all of them individually, but never all together. Grampa & Gramma got lots of snuggle time with Joshua while he slept peacefully in their arms in Aunt Carly & Uncle Brian's yard.
Of course Cousin Timothy was there as well too! He showed Joshua how to eat Cheerios,ride nicely in a little red wagon & even ride an elephant!
(On a side note, the rocking elephant is a gift from my in-laws. Stephanie says that when she saw it, she had to get it for me. They gave it to me at the picnic. I L-O-V-E it and have named it Bindi. It's a solid piece of wood and it is absolutely amazing. I can't wait until Joshua is big enough to ride Bindi!)

Then it was time for a family photo shoot. Grampa wanted a picture with his two grandsons, but it was kind of tough to get them both to cooperate. First Joshua was sleeping, then he was eating. Then Timothy was sleeping and then eating. We finally accomplished some pictures toward the end of the day. Josh wasn't really interested in the whole deal, and Timothy was more interested in Joshua than in smiling for the camera. I finally got some ok shots, but this one is my favorite.
Then the two dads jumped in and we had all the Nodine men in one shot. Of course, then we had to have a picture of all the "kids" and their kids.We ended the day with some quality time with Uncle Brian & Auntie Kim and then it was time to head home.

The Tuesday after our picnic, Ben went out to work with his dad & brother for the day so Josh and I tagged along to spend some time with gramma. It was a nice quiet day and gramma was happy as a clam. Even Joshua's great grandmother (Granny) got some time with him.

This past weekend, the Nodine women held a shower for Joshua. It was so nice that they all got to meet him finally and he was smothered in kisses and love all afternoon. In addition to all the love Joshua got, he was also given lots of great gifts. Books, clothes, a great piggy bank, toys & a Bumbo seat. We tried out the Bumbo and Josh loves it for short periods of time. Carly, Steph, Kim...when you read this, will you please send me your pictures of the shower? I don't have any! :) Thanks!

Somewhere along the way, Joshua has decided he's big enough to sleep on his own. It started out with naptime. He was terribly fussy when I tried to hold him when it was time for a nap and so we just put him down on his tummy time blanket (which is actually my sister Gina's baby blanket made by my Grandma Sharp. Not a machine stitch on it, folks. ALL hand done!) He was out like a light a minute later.
He had still been sleeping with me (more like ON me) at night because I just wasn't ready to let him sleep on his tummy all night long. Our Dr. Crowley told me not to put him on his tummy to sleep until after he was 6 months old, but if I didn't start getting some sleep, I may not have made it until he was 6 months old! So last night, for the first time, Joshua slept on his own in the crib in our room. I fed him at 9:30pm, dressed him in his little terry sleep sack, put his lullaby cd on and laid him down on his tummy. He sang himself to sleep, and I cried. What if a fly flew into his little open mouth in the middle of the night and he choked and stopped breathing and I was too asleep to notice?! Silly, I know, but this is how my mind works. It goes to the worst, most impossible possibility (impossible possibility? Is that possible?) and then it taunts me with progressively worse thoughts. I finally fell asleep praying that Joshua's team of angels would stay awake and keep the flies away. Thankfully, there were no flies, only a lost pacifier incident at 2:30am. It was the only time he woke up all night. I was a different story! :) At 5:30am, Joshua woke up to eat. I've never been happier to see him!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are some great family photos, Jamie! Great things to remember!! Actually, all the photos were great! He's getting so big!

Anonymous said...

Oh Joshua, you are so beautiful. I miss you so much. I miss kissing your cheeks and squishing your thighs. I can't wait to see you again:)

Nadelhoffer said...

Wow is he getting so big and handsome! Bite him for me, will ya? I remember that first night "away" from my babies and it is heart-wrenching. You literally feel the heart-strings tugging, but ahhhh the peaceful sleep that follows...

Brian & Carly said...

Thanks for the new photos, they're great! It has been so nice to see Joshua so much and yet he still looks like he's grown in his pics! I'm sure that first night wasn't easy, but rest assured you'll be a better (aka more awake and alert) Mommy for it!, and Joshie needs that from you!